-->

Hong Kong 2012 - Day 4 - Dim Sum, Prada and Roast Goose

Date: 7 December 2012 (Friday)
Subject: Hong Kong Day 4 - Dim Sum, Prada and Roast Goose!
Temperature: 18 degrees
Tricia is 1 year 6 months, 2 weeks old and 2 days old
Racia is 5 years 9 months and 3 days old


Its day 4 today and our first morning in Kowloon!

This morning, we are heading to our first dim sum meal at the famous Tim Hou Wan (THW) - Hong Kong's Michelin 1 star dim sum restaurant!
I had wanted to try the original branch at Mong Kok but as it only seats 40 people and you also need to queue 1 hour before they open, I decided to change my plans and hit their other branch at Sham Sui Po instead. (Sham Shui Po's branch opens at 8am!)

We woke up at 8am and managed to leave the hotel by 9am. We took the train all the way to Sham Shui Po station and got out at Exit B - heading towards Fuk Wing Street. It was not difficult to find the restaurant. You just need to walk straight out of the exit until you hit Fuk Wing Street, after that turn right (90 degrees) and go straight all the way to the end of this street. THW is located at the end of this street.

As we were early, many of the shops were not open. We could see that Fuk Wing street is where the toys and festive deco shops were located. There were lots of Christmas garlands hanging on the outside of the shops and shops signs that indicated toys stores. We even passed by a model shop (unfortunately it was not open even after we were done with breakfast). I would be keen to come back here and check out this place again at our next visit.
It was a short walk, about 5-10 minutes, we had to several small street followed by a main junction before the big THW signs looms up at the end of the street.
I was expecting a crowd but to my surprised, there were no crowd and no queue. We were ushered in immediately and was given a table straight away. We had sat next to the door but the kind ladies working there saw that I had a baby and asked me to move to another table inside where it was warmer. HKers are usually impatient and if you request a change of table in any eatery, you will often get scolded. But this time as I had Tricia with me, they were so much more tolerant! Its amazing how much friendlier people in Hong Kong are when you have a baby with you!

We settled down quickly and ordered the food. On my list were, the famous Char Siew Paus (I ordered 2 sets), Siew Mai, Har Kou, Shrimp Cheong Fun, Lotus Leaf Glutinous Rice, Ma Lai Gou, Beancurd Rolls, Carrot Cake and their signature dessert Guo Hwa Cake! 10 items in total - This was way too much food for the 4 of us. But as this was our first time there, I wanted to try all the recommended items! The food was delicious. Our favourite - the signature Char Siew Paus! I am definitely coming back for more of this. I can't imagine how much better the ones at the Mong Kok branch would taste! Perhaps we can consider queueing at the Mong Kok branch at our next trip to Hong Kong! Total damage for this meal, HK$178 (S$28)! Super value for money for such delicious food!!! We will definitely be back for more!!

After breakfast, we headed back to the train station. My second stop, Space Outlet for Prada at South Horizon! To get there we need to board a bus at the Exchange Square terminal at Central!

Racia requested to use the camera on our stroll back to the train station. I realised that she has a really good eye for capturing really unique angles for photos. She managed to capture some really nice photos during this trip (and a few really nice shot of Tricia too! It helps that Tricia is always smiling when Racia takes her picture).

We took the train to Central station and walked over the overhead bridge to Exchange Square. You can see the bus terminal as soon as you exit out from the train station.
The bus we needed to take is no. 590 to South Horizon. It was not difficult to find the bus stand and when we stood in line, I realised that more than half of the passengers queueing were tourist (Mainland Chinese, Japanese and a couple that looks Malaysian or Singaporean). I guess we are all heading to the same destination!
It was a short and scenic bus ride, about 20 minutes. We passed by the race course at Happy Valley, saw the vertically challenged cemetery amidst the city scape and then we crossed a huge bridge. The cue given to me was to look at the sign after crossing the bridge. We ended up missing the stop and only alighting at the next stop and had to walk back to South Horizon Plaza. It was really easy to find and we were soon in Asia's only Prada Outlet. The retail space was huge, and they had lots of items on display. I picked up a really nice red saffiano purse at HK$1450 (a steal at only S$230).

After space, we took a taxi back to central. I had made reservations at Yung Kee. Our reservations was 12:30pm and we reached at 1:05pm. They were really nice and when they saw that I had a baby, they gave us a table immediately even through reservations were usually released after 15 minutes! It was our first time there as usually we will head to Tsui Wah (opposite) for our meals instead. Since this was a gastronomical trip, we decided to include Yung kee in our list of places to eat. Our aim is to try their century egg and roast goose today! As we were still quite full from our breakfast, we decided to order less for lunch. One double plate of Roast Goose and Char Siew, one plate of braised tofu and one Duck Fat noodle, one plain porridge and 2 bowls of rice! The Goose was delicious!! This was one of the best Goose I have eaten in Hong Kong so far! My other favourite was the Century Eggs with the super runny yolks! Absolutely delicious! This meal cost us HK$456 and it was our most expensive meal in Hong Kong too (the plate of roast goose and char siew cost HK$150).

After lunch, we did some shopping at H&M (Queens Street Central) and the Eugene Club Children mega store. We headed back to the hotel for the girls to nap. I left Hb to take care of them and headed out to Mong Kok immediately. My destination - Fa Yuen Street for my Hello Kitty shops and Langham Place - Seibu for my Jill Stuart. It was easier for me to hit these places without the girls and we had the same plan for hubby when he goes to hunt down his toy stores tomorrow. I hit the end of Fa Yuen street first and walked back along the street to cover my 4 shops selling Hello Kitty stuffs! After that, it was to Langham Place - Seibu to hunt down my Jill Stuart counter. The Jill Stuart cosmetics were too pretty and hard to resist (even though they were quite pricey). I picked up a blusher and a lip gloss (which cost about S$100). I had wanted to try the JS range of Japanese make-up when I first read about them online and as they were not available in Singapore, the nearest country to buy them was Hong Kong!

On the way back, I picked up dinner from the char chan ting behind our hotel.

After a quick dinner, we headed out to the Star Ferry Terminal where we boarded the Star Ferry for a round trip and a night view of the Victoria Harbour! The night view was fantastic and the girls enjoyed their boat ride!

After our boat ride, we headed back to Harbour City - Toys R Us. We spent an hour there this time.
Tricia had fun pushing this baby toy stroller she found and holding tight to a helium balloon she got hold of. It was so cute observing her holding tight to make sure the balloon do not fly off while pushing her baby toy stroller. It might be a good time for us to get her a baby toy stroller soon as I remembered Racia used to love her toy stroller!

We headed back to the hotel after and I went to pick up some supper and to exchange for my 1st 7Eleven Saniro toy. I took 6 stamps, added HK$20 and exchange my first box. I gave it to Racia to open (as I am always unlucky for such items). It turned out that she was extremely lucky, we got the extremely sought after Hello Kitty figurine in this first box (You will read about how lucky she is in my subsequent posts!) The figurine was really beautiful and extremely well made, very high quality too! I am determined to get as many figurine as I can during our time in Hong Kong!

Tomorrow, I get to eat my long awaited scramble eggs breakfast from the Australian Dairy Company and we have also planned a trip to the Sky100 Observatory Tower!


My little sleepy head

The two girls were still sleeping!

Dream feeding BB1, See she can't even open her eyes!

My idol! Saw this poster in the train station

In the train and on the way to our first destination

Daddy and BB1 took the seats opposite!

Our stop - Sham Shui Po

I am looking for Fuk Wing Street!

Exit at B, walk straight till you come to Fuk Wing Street

Turn right and head down this road

This is the street of decorations and toys (We spotted a hobby shop, no.69)

Cross one main junction and head straight on

Finally i see the big green sign ahead, cross another small street

We are there! The walk took us about 5-10 minutes because this is located at the end of the street

The shop! Glad there was no queue

Tim Hou Wan - Dim Sum speciality shop!

The Chinese menu

English menu

Photo menu aka disposable paper place mats

This is what i came for, THW's famous char siew buns!

We also ordered glutinous rice

yummy!

Shrimp chee cheong fun

Har kow

Ma Lai Gou

Carrot Cake

Siew Mai

Beancurd skin rolls

Gui Hwa Cakes

BB2 with cheeks as chubby and white as the buns!

Me enjoying my char siew buns

Keeping the girls entertained (drawing on the placemats). Look at the food, no space left on the table

Finally all done and BB2 getting restless!

So cute!

BB1's drawing of the us boarding the plan to Hong Kong!

The final bill, HK$178 (S$28) for all, one of the cheapest dim sum deal in town!

One shot at the entrance before we move off

Daddy guiding the aspiring phorographer

Taken by BB1.. and all the shots below too..

Toy shop that we passed (princess stuff)

Rilakkuma chair

Kitty bins!

I love this melody bottle

Look at the Hello Kitty clocks!

Such a cute Rila SII cover

Wonderful Christmas Deco we saw in one of the gift shops along that road

Big Fluffy Rila Bears!

Heading back to the train station

Next stop Central!

Central Station



We needed cross the overhead bridge to the Exchange Square Bus Terminal

The bus we want is no. 590 to South Horizon!

Bus stand for no. 590

Took the upper level seats

Tricia decided she wanted daddy!

The beautiful scenery!

This should be the correct stop to alight - The Oasis (after the bus crosses the bridge)

Immediately after, I spotted the "Zouth Horizon" signage

We alighted here and had to walk back

We passed these huge apartment buildings

Finally reaching South Horizon Plaza!

My one and only blur picture - Space Prada Outlet!

I love this bag!

Looks nice right! Denim and fully lined with calf leather

Other bags and small leather goods on display

My magic number 0072

In exchange for this bag!

The small leather good, i bought the small saffiano red purse!

Hb and the girls waiting for me outside. Pic captured by BB1. Love BB2's smile here

Self portrait by the photographer

I love this picture taken by BB1

Everyone fell asleep in the taxi on the way back to Central


Our lunch destination - Yung Kee!

Look at all the yummy roast goose!

We missed out reservations by 40 minutes but I think they saw that i had a baby and got a table a table for us!

So excited to try the famous roast goose!

BB2 happy with her juice

Self portrait again

I think she is munching on a cookie here

Peek-a-boo

Mummy and BB2

The famous century egg - It was yummy!

Braise tofu (for bb2)

Our double plate - Roast goose and char siew


Goose fat noodles (Noodles came so late that we were full by then)

Happy BB1

She love her lunch

yumz!

A pic at the entrance before we leave

Next Stop, H&M at Queens Street Central and Eugene Club Children Shop

They sell Miffy baby stuff here!

Parked the girls in the hotel and I came down to Mong Kok (to the Hello Kitty Shops)

Packed dinner back for them!

We headed out after dinner

To see the night view at the harbour and..

to take the Star Ferry ride!

The girls

After a round trip, we headed back to Toys R Us (for round 2)

BB2 love the baby stroller

And then she got hold of a balloon (her next favourite item)

See how she secures the balloon to her stroller!

She makes she she don't loose the balloon or the stroller

Picture on the chocolate rabbit

The two cuties

Such a sweet smile

Back at the hotel, going through the Toys R Us catalogue

Our supper (Mummy needs the stamps to exchange for he Hello Kitty Toys)



The special Sanrio 7 Eleven redemption programme

6 stamps (1 stamp for every HK$20 spent) + HK$20 = 1 toy
Even the stamps are so cute

We were so lucky! - First toy, the Hello Kitty!

Look at the full collection on the box

My loot for today - Phone button skin and plug from Sham Shui Po

Rapunzel hair ties from H&M

My Sanrio pouches from TRU

Sanrio stuff from Fa Yuen Street

Colouring book, phone cover and socks - Mong Kok

My first Jill Stuart set of make up - Seibu Langham Place


;;l,

0 comments:



My Princess

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Breast Feeding ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers